Elephanta caves are on Elephanta Island near Mumbai, India. These caves are considered to be one of India’s most well-known ancient architectural temples. In 1987, the caves were named a UNESCO World Heritage Site based on UNESCO’s cultural criteria, which stated that they “represent a marvel of human creative brilliance.”
It is divided into two groups: a huge group of five Hindu caves and a smaller group of two Buddhist caves. The Hindu caves feature rock-cut stone sculptures of Lord Shiva, symbolizing the Shaiva Hindu faith. The caverns’ rock cut architecture has been dated to the 5th and 8th centuries (1500 years back).
Elphanta caves exact history and constructors remain unknown. Some historians say that the temples were created by the Chalukya dynasty’s famous warrior prince Pulesin II to commemorate his victory, while others claim that the caves were built by the Kalchuri King Krishnaraja in the 6th century AD, putting the Elephanta Caves’ age at around 1400 years.
In 635 AD, Elephanta was renamed Puri or Purika and designated as the Konkan Mauryas’ capital. According to legend, the Elephanta caverns were ruled by numerous monarchs including the Konkan Mauryas, Chalukyan dynasty, Gujarat Sultanate, and Portuguese. The Elephanta Caves are divided into three sections: the Main Hall, East Wing Shrine, and West Wing Shrine.
Also Read – 20 Interesting Facts About Ashoka The Great