5 Indoor Plants That Are Toxic To Your Health

Related Articles

Indoor plants are a lovely addition to any house, and keeping them around is a great way to stay connected to nature. It is, however, essential to be aware of the risks caused by a few plants. Despite the fact that most growing indoor plants are safe, a bunch are extremely toxic to humans and pets.

When you’re indoors, stay away from these 5 toxic plants

1. Snake Plant

The snake plant is a popular indoor plant that can be found in a variety of homes and offices. Mother-in-law, good luck plant, golden bird’s nest, and Sansevieria trifasciata Prain are some of the other names for this plant. While these are quite attractive, they might produce gastrointestinal symptoms such as drooling, vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased appetite, lethargy, or depression if consumed.

2. Peace Lily

The Peace lily is not a real lily because it is not a member of the Liliaceae family. This indoor plant, also known as Spathiphyllum wallisii Regel or White Sail Plant, has long been one of the most popular indoor plants. These are good air purifiers, but they’ve been connected to burning and swelling of the lips, mouth, and tongue, which can make it difficult to speak or swallow, as well as vomiting, nausea, and diarrhoea. Furthermore, if consumed by humans or animals, it might result in death.

3. Dieffenbachia

This indoor plant, sometimes known as dumb cane, is linked to the philodendron and has the same oxalate crystals. This plant has fleshy leaves and thick stalks, and because it is grown in large pots and placed on the floor, children and pets are likely to eat it. Ingestion of Dieffenbachia can produce mild to moderate symptoms in people and pets, including intense mouth discomfort, salivation, burning feeling, swelling, and numbness of the throat.

4. Weeping Fig

Weeping figs, also known as Ficus benjamina L., are quite popular. The fact that plants grow extremely slowly is a big factor in their popularity. When deciding where to put these, keep in mind that they should be out of reach of your dogs. Poisoning by weeping figs is a regular and serious problem in dogs who get access to the plant. Because this plant sheds its leaves on occasion, it’s critical to take the proper precautions to keep your dogs safe.

5. English Ivy

English ivy has thin, pointed leaves that make for a beautiful show. While these vines are ideal for draping from a cabinet or an interior container garden. Ingesting more English ivy than recommended can result in serious consequences. Skin irritation, weakness, burning throat, dermatitis, rash, ataxia, and fever are all signs of English ivy. Because this plant tends to trail, keep it out of the reach of youngsters and pets.

More on this topic

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular stories